Research has shown that there is no better food than breast milk for a baby’s first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many health, nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby. Since a major goal of the WIC Program is to improve the nutritional status of infants, WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants. WIC has historically promoted breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the optimal infant feeding choice, unless medically contraindicated.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling and breastfeeding educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers receive follow-up support through peer counselors.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers.
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps, breast shells or nursing supplementers to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Helpline: 1-800-289-7406
Breastfeeding Promotion and Support Resources:
Northwest GA Breastfeeding Coalition
New breastfeeding DVD available Now
"Breastfeeding: A Guide For Success."
This is a follow up to the first DVD, also available on their site, that outlines topics that new mothers might have question about, including how often she should breastfeed, her diet and how to know if the baby is receiving enough milk.
All mothers in the North Georgia WIC Program can ask their nutritionists about getting a copy of the DVD.